Monday, December 22, 2008
Thursday, December 4, 2008
What you need (materials):
1. 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda
2. 1 teaspoon of citric acid
3. 3 teaspoons of icing sugar
4. a small cup
5. a teaspoon [to stir it round]
We put all the ingredients in the cup together and mixed them. Then we tasted them!
When we put all the ingredients together I thought it woud taste disgusting, but when I had a taste, it was amazing! At first it was all sweet and then it fizzed up in your mouth. Our saliva mixed the ingredients together. It was the best sherbet I have ever tasted!!!!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Question: Can a liquid be a solid?
Hypothesis: Yes it can.
Materials: Corn Starch
Today for our experiment we discussed whether a solid can be a liquid at the same time. Most of us said yes. To test it out, first we poured 1 cup of corn starch into a bowl and added half a cup of water. We then took it in turns to play with the mixture. I found out that when you felt it, it felt like a liquid, but when you tried to pick it up, it felt like a solid. When I let it dry, it felt like extra bits of dead skin.
Because of our experiment, I have learned that something can be both a liquid and a solid at the same time. I look forward to the rest of our cool experiments!
1. First we turn on the portable element.
2. Then we put a small amount of milk in the bowl and put the bowl on the element.
3. After that we added the vinegar and let the mixture simmer.
4. Then we put all the mixture through the sieve with all the vieigar drained out.
5. If there is still some vinegar left, move the sieve up and down and side to side.
6. Then we put it out in the sun to dry.
7. When it has dried run cold water over the mixture.
8. After that you should be able to bounce it around like a ball, an eco friendly, plastic, home made, bouncy ball!
We did this experiment with Miss Jay in Room 12. Overall, I thought it was an amazing experience because we learned how to make plastic! I thought it was really fun and I can't wait until the next one! I think we might be making sherbet!
By Alex V.
This week is Science Week at Grey Lynn School. The Kowhai team is focusing on Chemistry. Each class visits another class in the team and does an experiment with that teacher. I am looking forward to today because I think the experiments will be fun. We brainstormed in our books with Miss Meleisea to see what we already know about chemistry. Here is a class brainstorm: